The Palliative Care Partnership of the Roanoke Valley has received a $22,000 Geriatric Training and Education (GTE) Initiative Grant from the Virginia Center for Aging for a pilot project to implement the Physicians’ Orders for Scope of Treatment (POST) form in the Roanoke Valley.
- A POST form is a set of physician-signed orders which communicates and implements patient preferences for end-of-life treatment.
- The form is transferable across treatment settings of participating health care agencies.
- A POST form may be appropriate for people who are either terminally ill or are seriously ill with chronic, progressive disease.
Agencies participating in this project include:
- Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital
- Friendship Health & Rehab Center
- Richfield Recovery and Care Center
- Carilion Clinics Hospice – Roanoke
- Good Samaritan Hospice -- Roanoke
- Amedisys Hospice
- Medi Home Health & Hospice
Ultimately, the PCPRV hopes this project will be a catalyst for adopting the POST form and process on a statewide level similar to other states, including West Virginia and Oregon.